September Meeting Minutes
Recreation Commission Meeting Minutes
Thursday, September 12, 2019
In attendance: Davis Hobbs, Tom Chagnon, Carol Tremble and Erin Morse
South Hero Town Office, 7:00 PM
A) Review of July minutes – approved
B) Public Input – none
C) Treasurer’s Report – none. Mike not here.
D) Old Business
1) Evaluation of White’s Beach parking sticker program, 2019 – Jerry Robinson reported on White’s Beach attendance and stricter program: sold 400 resident stickers, 46 non residents – $4,070. Mike to follow up on these funds to see if we will receive. Jerry visited White’s on 30 occasions from 6/14-8/25, 10-41 cars per visit. Out of a total 498 cars, 68 had a sticker. 10 dogs in the grassed in area, 1 in the water. In emergency area, 5 cars in with kayak. Over 3 days, 6 white vans dropping off children from different programs (Burlington beaches were closed). 3 overnights were parked. Police presence 3 times. 2 drive thru, 1 walk thru. 2 picnics with non tag people. 81 cars last 4th, 41 this 4th
Recommendations: Signs looked at again and more visible stickers (something bright) or hanging placards (like handicapped parking signs) for next near. From Purvis’s house, 3 signs (too many and contradictory). Implement fines next year (use some funds from sticker income). Speed bump to slow traffic.
2) web site – skip until next meeting
3) Playground equipment for White’s Beach – Tom is working on estimates. One is around 10k but need something more affordable. Dave will contact RISE about grants once Tom has a quote.
4) Don Peach Recreation Fund – All agreed we do not need it at this time.
E) New Business
1) discuss Karin’s replacement on the Commission – Tom recommended Whitney Maxham. She lives in Alburgh but is in South Hero frequently. Tom will check with her and get back to us. If not, Erin will post vacancy in FPF.
2) Port-o-let for Fall soccer program. All agreed to paying for half.
F) Other Business – Carol brought buoys in and will handle storing. Tryathlon – good attendance, Dave suggested a Senior edition.