April Meeting Minutes
Recreation Committee Meeting
4/13/17, 7:00 p.m. Town Office
Attendance: Dave Hobbs, Eoana Sturges, Stefan Bumbeck, Ton Chagnon, Karin Ames
1) March Meeting Minutes: Reviewed and approved.
2) Public Input: None
3) Treasurers Report and Budget Discussion: To be discussed at May 18th meeting.
4) New Business:
Resource sharing: Dave shared the opportunity presented by the statewide meeting “Blazing a Trail: The Economic Impact and Future of Vermont’s Trails and Recreation Paths” to be held Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 9-3:15 in Burke, Vermont. Commissioners will consider going as schedules allow.
5) Old Business
A) Student Member: Application reviewed. Karin to copy and deliver to Julie Pidgeon at Folsom on Friday, 4/14/17 for distribution to students. Deadline for students is May 15th so commission can review and make a selection at May 18th meeting.
B) County-wide Spring/Summer Recreation Bulletin: SH Commission will collect data from all towns as follows:
NH – Karin
GI – Eoana
Alburg – Stefan
ILM – Tom
Dave will forward contact names for GI, ILM and Alburg. All information collected to be forwarded to Stefan and distributed via Chamber of Commerce Island Events Calendar, web sites for each town recreation commission, Front Porch Forum.
C) Boardwalk Repair at Town Park: Dave will supply materials. Stefan will coordinate with Julie to pick a date and time for the work party, which will include 3-4 8th grade students who need community service hours. Work to be done over April break.
D) Swim Lessons: Dave will follow-up with Mike to ensure all is on track.
E) July 4th Parade: Tom and family will lead the organization.
F) White’s Beach Volleyball:
- Dave will coordinate with town highway crew to dump sand.
- Work party needed to raise net and improve guy-wires.
- Dave will contact Tristan Hobbs, as head of group who uses the site, to organize work party. Stefan will also join the work party.
G) Roy Marsh Trail: Dave presented the old (unsigned) agreement with the state which has been in place since 2010, and the new agreement recently received (signed).
Old Agreement New Agreement Walking and biking allowed Biking removed Base of path shall remain a gravel surface Base of path shall remain as a soil surface 8 feet wide 6 feet wide
- Ann Zolotas, as a representative of the Selectboard, is working with Dave to draft a letter to the state request a change in the agreement.
- Tom and Stefan will research the history of the property the trail occupies.
6) Other Business:
A) Dave will inventory Tryathlon t-shirts and provide a summary of future needs (size and count) to Karin who will order more shirts.
B) Tom will get quotes for the signs needed at White’s Beach.
C) Tryathlon snacks will be purchased this year, rather than soliciting donations as has been previously done.